Tuesday, January 27, 2009

Write Now

Learning to write well takes practice. I teach creative writing at our local community college. I open every session with a short (and I hope fun) writing assignment. I plan the classes carefully, provide handouts, and work to stay current on publishing news. I regularly talk with other writers, agents, and editors. Each month I read ARCs (advance reader copies) to know the market. I share stories that I hope will resonate with the students. Everything that I offer is designed for one purpose. To get the writer writing.
_"A first draft is a wonderful thing." I tell them. I don’t care about spelling, punctuation, grammar. Just start. Get going. Start writing. Right now. Today. And keep going. And by the way, "bring something to read next week."
_And that is the second secret. Writers learn to write by writing. That’s it. Stop talking. And write. Everyone who chooses to write is a writer! So write … right now.

No comments:

Post a Comment