Wednesday, January 21, 2009

My Story

In June1992 my husband died and my life changed forever. We were both 44, had met in high school, and married in 1967. We had two sons and had just moved to the house of our dreams. Standing outside of Johns Hopkins Hospital I realized that my life would be forever different. We would not be celebrating our 25th anniversary in December. We would not share future grand-parenting duties or grow old together. I was sad, scared and weary in a way that defies description.
_When the death duties were finished I turned to my writing, spending endless hours creating and marketing manuscripts. My first articles had been published years before. Whenever I could find time I’d write and submit a manuscript or two or send a query to an editor asking for an assignment.
_ I had sold more than a hundred articles and short stories during those early years, most were written on assignment. More importantly however, I had had the good fortune to work with great editors. Men who helped me to develop as a writer, who gave me assignments, and contracts, and a chance to rewrite if I missed the mark. They were available to me by telephone whenever I had a question or needed guidance. It was paid on-the-job training and I appreciated every moment of it. I knew that someday I wanted to write full time.
_Now I had the time, but writing is a lonely endeavor and I became restless. Then one day I was given an incredible opportunity to teach creative writing at our local community college in their adult education program. I was hired by a terrific director who allowed me to develop and teach a variety of programs.
_Suddenly my focus shifted. I studied writing techniques and created countless handouts and approaches all directed toward helping the writer complete their first or next writing project. I created classes for magazine writing, inspirational writing, writing for children, writing short stories, novels, memoirs and writing for fun and profit. I developed a newsletter and the students were my writers. I learned to edit their manuscripts and offer advice.
_I created programs for area home schooled children whose parents needed help helping their children. I started numerous writing groups. I opened a freelance editing business. I didn’t know it then, but I was becoming a writing coach.
_In early 2000 I began coaching students one-on-one through a program I developed at the college. Over the years and hundreds of students later I believe I understand writers and what they need to be successful. And each need is different.
_In September 2008 I started a blog to help area writers stay in touch. One of the articles I wrote for "Dialogue" is about my fondness for writers. I’ve helped other writers get their thoughts and words down and I just might be able to help you. To get started send an email to patriciapunt@gmail.com and describe your project. I’ll respond immediately and invite you to tell me about yourself and your writing. And I’ll offer you a free critique.

No comments:

Post a Comment